ACGME Fellowship Program
The Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship Program at The University of Chicago, under the direction of Jason Poston, MD and Bhakti Patel, MD, draws upon the enormous resources and diversity of our Section, Department, and Division. Fellows may train in one of the following programs:
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine (3 years in the ACGME program with an opportunity for an additional research training year)
- Post-doctoral Research Programs
Our mission is to graduate physicians who demonstrate the resilience, curiosity, rigorous critical thinking, collaboration, collegiality, and compassion to become leaders in research, health care delivery, medical education, and clinical practice in pulmonary and critical care medicine.
Our programs meet the requirements of the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) and the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
Minimum requirements for admission to our clinical fellowship programs are:
- M.D. or equivalent degree
- Successful completion of an ACGME-certified internal medicine residency program sponsored by a major university in the United States or Canada
- For graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada, appropriate certification by the USMLE/FLEX
- Additionally, candidates interested in T-32 training grant appointment must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen U.S. national, or permanent resident of the U.S. per NIH guidelines.